At the end of last month (May 2022) The United States announced that it will be increasing its visa waiver fee from US$14 to US$21 with immediate effect.
The Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) was established in 2008 as an automated system to establish the eligibility of visitors to travel to the US using the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). It allows nationals from 40 participating countries to travel to the US for stays of up to 90 days without a visa. The document is used to determine whether foreign nationals are eligible to travel to the United States under the VWP and is mandatory for everyone who visits the US or travels through the country on the way to another destination.
ESTA applications concern travelers who:
- are a citizen or eligible national of a Visa Waiver Program country
- are currently not in possession of a visitor’s visa
- are planning to travel for 90 days or less
- are planning to travel to the United States for business or pleasure
- are looking to apply for a new authorisation for one person or a group of applications for two or more people
To apply, you will require the following information:
- a valid passport(s) from a Visa Waiver Program country (which includes the UK)
- a valid email address.
- your home address and phone number
- an emergency point of contact phone and email
The new fee, which includes a US$4 operational fee, will be in place until September 2027. This is the first time that the cost of the visa waiver has risen since 2015. The document is valid for two years and those with an already approved ESTA will not have to re-apply until their current ESTA expires.
To apply for ESTA, visit the official government website at esta.cbp.dhs.gov. Applications can take anywhere from a few hours to three days to be processed and so it is advised that applications are submitted no later than 72 hours prior to travel to allow for authorisation.
How can Animo help?
Our specialist consultants frequently manage clients’ concerns surrounding travel and visa applications. If you have any queries about the above-mentioned, please do not hesitate to get in touch today where we will be able to provide expert insights. Get in contact by calling +44 (0)207 060 0835, emailing email@example.com, or by filling in the contact form below.